Confirmed by the Council - June 2009
Established : 2009
Duration : Until superseded or revoked
Chairperson : Representative of a WCO Member
Elections : Members of the Group shall elect the Chairperson for a one-year term
The Group shall constitute a dialogue mechanism on border measures on trademark counterfeiting and copyright piracy. In its discussions, the Group will respect the national legal regimes of Members, as well as their respective levels of commitments in international agreements, such as TRIPS, to which Members are party, and shall not engage in norm setting nor seek to make recommendations or adopt particular measures.
Membership will be open to all WCO Members.
3. Purpose and Scope
Within the framework of its mandate, the purpose and scope of the Group are limited to an exchange and discussion of views, experiences, practices and initiatives of Customs administrations and discussions on WCO Capacity Building activities for Members requesting assistance.
4. Key Deliverables
The Group will deliver a factual report to the Permanent Technical Committee after each session.
5. Means of Operation
- The Group will meet under the leadership of its Chairperson, with membership being determined as specified above.
- Observers may be invited to participate in open meetings; a balanced participation of stakeholders should be sought.
- The Group will hold its sessions as and when required, subject to approval by the
Permanent Technical Committee.
- Except when otherwise decided by the Secretary General and/or the Permanent
Technical Committee, the Group will normally meet twice a year.
- Normally, each session will last two days, depending on the number and complexity of items on the agenda.
6. Resources Required
The general administrative arrangements and provision of support services shall be the
responsibility of the Secretariat.